Welcome to the #1 Toyota GR Supra Forum and GR Supra community dedicated to Toyota GR Supra owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Toyota Supra Forum today!

2020 Toyota Supra Launch Edition First Test

RCF Fan

Staff Team
Reactions
City
Las Vegas
Just about every Wednesday, a fresh crop of eager cars and SUVs pull into the parking lot at California Speedway and line up along the curb for testing—a batch of new contestants for our private little weekly episode of America's Got Automotive Talent. It's 7:30 a.m., and on cue, they roll past the security guard and into a nice, neat row to introduce themselves. Already, they're starting to nervously eye one another.

Towering over them all is the enormous new Kia Telluride, which appears to have the mass of 14 Fortes. Theoretically, it's the first SUV with its own gravitational field. Its performance trick? Rather than racing around the figure eight's cones, it's going to orbit around it. Next to the Kia is the silver Mercedes-Benz GLE 450, which can pneumatically hop up and down. This is going to be a big, big crowd pleaser. Although it's officially for jumping out of Saharan sand pits, I'm telling you, Mercedes has missed a bet by not putting a button for this on its remote key fob. Finding your GLE after a long night at the Hollywood Bowl would be a cinch.

And then there's—I look way, way down—what appears to be a Star Wars Stormtrooper on wheels. It's white and covered with gleaming but menacing armor. But beneath the helmet and combat gear, it looks, hmmm, strangely familiar.

"Didn't I know your father?" I ask. It stares straight ahead, mission-focused. "I doubt it," it replies curtly, its accent showing hints of both Japanese and German. "He's been gone for almost 20 years."

"Bingo—the 1993 fourth-gen Supra Turbo! There's definitely a family resemblance." Long nose, short, ducktail stern. "Can you take some of that stuff off so I can get a better look at you?"